Our intent at Lacock Primary School is to provide high-quality Geography teaching, which helps to provoke and provide answers to questions about natural and human aspects of the world. Our curriculum is designed to enable children to develop knowledge and skills that are transferable to other curriculum areas.
We will deliver a curriculum that:
- Inspires a curiosity and fascination about the world and its people
- Equips children with an understanding of diverse places, people, resources and environments around them
- Allows children to build on prior learning about physical and human processes
- Develops an understanding that the Earth’s features are interconnected and change over time.
- Encourages exploration of their own environment and challenges pupils to make connections between their local surroundings and that of contrasting settlements
Children are taught key knowledge and skills relating to each national curriculum strand, as appropriate to each key stage;
- locational and place knowledge,
- human and physical geography
We ensure that our local area is fully utilised, with extensive opportunities for learning outside the classroom embedded into our practice, this includes regular welly walks in YR and Y1, a river study in Y3 and Y4 and a detailed study of how our area using a range of historical maps, in Y5 and Y6.
- Pupils will have a passion for and commitment to the subject, and a real sense of curiosity to find out about the world and the people who live there.
- Pupils will have an excellent knowledge of where places are and what they are like.
- Pupils will understand ways in which human and physical environments are interrelated.
- Pupils will have developed and frequently utilised fieldwork and other geographical skills and techniques.
- Pupils will have the ability to express well-balanced opinions, rooted in very good knowledge and understanding about current and contemporary issues in society and the environment.
- Pupils will understand how Geographical knowledge has changed our lives and that it is vital to the world’s future prosperity.
Our Geography Knowledge Organisers
|File Size:||5077 kb|
|File Size:||3674 kb|